109 S Second St, Deepwater, MO 64740 660.696.2667

14 January 2014

12 Tags of 2014 - January - Make Time to Create...Everyday!

Make Time to Create...Everyday!
That is one of my resolutions for the 2014 New Year.
However, mother nature's wrath and the flu and cold epidemic have thwarted my best efforts to keep this resolution...so, I am trying to make up for lost time now that I am finally on the mend.

Below is my interpretation of Tim's 12 Tags of 2014 January tag of inspiration!
You can check out his blog post here: http://timholtz.com/12-tags-of-2014-january/

I didn't want to duplicate his masterpiece...however, I wanted to draw from his inspiration, and also put my own twist on a design I had sketched out in my journal on New Year's eve.
There is a very similar theme to both his tag and my card...Time!

I started with a piece of manilla cardstock and Pumice Stone Distress Stain. I forgot to photograph my cardstock after I distressed it with the stain...I guess I was too into the creative groove at the time. It happens a lot!

After I had my base adequately distressed and covered with Distress stain, I went on to add some background interest using Tim's Clockwork stencil and Black Soot Distress Ink applied using the foam blending tool.

This is what it looked like after I was finished stenciling.
See all the grungy goodness starting to build up. Love to layer distress!

He used rub ons for his numbers, I chose to go an alternate path and use his Distress Marker in Black Soot and another one of his awesome stencils. I couldn't find my rub ons at the time so I improvised! Isn't that what he is always teaching anyways?

Here is my Distress Marker stenciled layer. As you can see, I also distressed around the edges using my Tim Holtz Tonic Distressing tool...then I inked the edges with more Black Soot Distress Ink and the foam blending tool.

Next I added a little green aspect to my project...i.e. Recycled materials.
I couldn't resist using this free thin chipboard from the Puffs box. It was just screaming to be diecut!
I used it for the focal point of my card...the Weathered Clock die cut.

After I cut out my Weathered Clock, I added strips of metal foil tape to the center piece and ran it through my Sizziz/Tim Holtz gears texture fade. And I painted the Weathered clock with Black Soot Distress Paint, and Painted the clock hands Antiqued Bronze Distress Paint (even though this photo shows Vintage photo...for some odd unknown reason).

Painting the Weatherd Clock diecut

Love the look after it was painted. I think I coated it twice to get a nice black finish!

Now on to distressing the embossed center...Added some Black Soot Distress paint over the embossed metal foil tape center piece...and let it start to dry...

Then I gently buffed the piece with a soft paper towel to remove the excess paint and accentuate the embossed images on the centerpiece. I just love this technique! It really makes the embossing pop!

I reunited the pieces of the Weathered clock diecut after I finished distressing them.

Here, I used a technique I learned in Tim's Creative Chemistry 102 class to distress the clock hands.
It is called the Eroded Metallic technique. I reversed the order that he taught in the class for my clock hands shown here. I used the Antiqued Bronze first, then I added the Black Soot paint over the top. In the class, he taught us to use the non-metallic color as the base coat and add the metallic over the top, then some water, drying with the Heat-it tool and using a paper towel to blot the excess, thus giving the effect of eroded metal. It is a technique that requires some practice, but I have had pretty good luck getting the desired look on the first try every time.
Timing is essential though...or the technique will not work properly.

Here is a closeup of the Eroded Metallic clock hands. Another must have technique to have in your arsenal if you love Distress paint! I had to try it both ways, and love the effect both ways!

I needed to distress the stenciled numbers, so I sanded them with the edge of my Tim Holtz sander.

Assembling the pieces...I punched a hole in the center of the embossed piece with my Tim Holtz Tonic piercer tool and attached the eroded metallic clock hands using a Tim Holtz brad, thus securing the entire piece to my grunged up base cardstock.

Trimmed the excess die cut with my Tim Holtz scissors by Tonic.

Now it is all ready to attach to my card base...which I also distressed with Black Soot distress ink. (sorry, forgot to photograph that step)

Here is my card after it was attached to my card base and embellished with some of his word stickers. I also added a couple of my antique paperclips to the edges...I am going to be so sad when I use them all up. They don't make these anymore, but I love them so!

While I was cleaning my desk, I found a missing piece from another project. It had been painted with Distress paint in Black Soot and Wild Honey. It went MIA during another project, so I made another one, and suddenly, it appears from nowhere right when I needed a little extra something to complete my card! Voila! The crow has returned!

Here is the finished card with all the pieces combined! I added a half circle at the bottom so the crow would have a perch!
My finished submission for the Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2014.
Make Time to Create...EVERYDAY! 
I hope you enjoyed seeing this one come together! I am hopeful that I will be able to keep up and complete a submission every month this year! 1 down, 11 to go!
 
Please feel free to leave a comment on here so I know you've been here. I love reading all the comments.
It brings a happy smile to my face every time!
Happy Crafting Everyone!
Don't forget to Make Time to Create EVERYDAY!
 

1 comment:

  1. This is very neat! I really like that you recycle items too! Lovely Tag! =^_^=

    ReplyDelete