109 S Second St, Deepwater, MO 64740 660.696.2667

08 March 2013

My Take on the Tim Holtz March tag 2013

Here's my take on the Tim Holtz March Tag of 2013

I didn't have all the same supplies he used, so as he's always telling us...I improvised and used what I had on hand to create my tag. I even tried some new techniques and really was pleased with the results.
I started out by cutting my focal piece out of white kraft core using the mini bunny movers & shapers die and the Styled Labels die. I gently sanded the edges then inked using my blending tool and Walnut Stain distress ink. Then I decided to experiment a bit by lightly dabbing my cardstock with the Emboss-it Dabber and then lightly sprinkling on a bit of Seafoam White Embossing powder. Heated it with my Heat It tool to give it a creamy speckled look. I kinda like how it turned out. These pictures don't do it justice.

Next, I decided to try an alternate method for my bunny background. Instead of using the tinsel twine like Tim used, I wondered to myself...What about using the Silver Diamond Range Flower Soft and Alcohol inks?
So, I cut a piece of cardstock big enough to fit the bunny and coated it with Glossy Accents, then covered it with the Flower Soft. I dried it with my Heat It tool because I am impatient. Then I used the foam that comes in Tim's embossing folders packs and applied Pool and Mushroom alcohol ink to the Flower Soft. It looks really cool!

Here is a close up of the Alcohol inked Flower Soft.

And here's what it looks like after I taped it behind the bunny label. WOW! Now the Bunny pops! And you can see the speckled embossing better here too.

Next I cut my tag base using the Tags and Labels die and a piece of cardstock from my Lily Bee Harvest Market pack. This design just looked like Easter paper to me.

I sanded the edges of the tag with my favorite Tim Holtz Sanding block. Hey...I remembered to put something between my project and my craft mat! This is important to remember, otherwise you will sand a hole through your craft mat. I know from experience, Do Not sand on your craft mat!

Next I used a piece of light green Kraft Core and lightly sanded it with my sanding block.

Then I used an EK Success Icicle punch to punch a row of Grass. I use this punch more for Grass than I do for icicles! Had to improvise, since I haven't received my Tim Holtz Tapered Fringe die yet.

I used some Glossy Accents to adhere three rows of grass to the bottom of my tag for grass. Then I used my fingers to ruffle up the grass for a more realistic effect.

Then I cut a banner using my Tim Holt Tattered Banners die. Again, I used some Lily Bee paper I had in my scrap bin. And I stamped it using the Hello Friend stamp from Tim's NEW Simple Saying
CMS155 set. Oh how I love this set of stamps! Thanks Tim!

Now the assembly part. I forgot to photograph how I did the ribbon, but I used some ribbon similar to Tim's Seam Binding ribbon and I distressed it using some Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick Distress Stain, crinkled it up and dried it with my Heat It tool and then tied it around the Styled Label as shown above. Then I used some Glossy Accents to adhere my stamped banner at the top above the bunny.

I used some dimensional foam squares to adhere the bunny label to the tag. It's coming together, but it still needed something else...then I remembered, Tim used Flowers on his! Yeah...that's what it needs!

I grabbed a couple of Prima mulberry flowers out of their Wildflower tube and painted them with Spun Sugar, Mustard Seed and Wild Honey Distress Paints. Did I mention how much I love these paints? They are the best thing since...Tim Holtz Distress!
I also decided to use some plastic sequin flowers...wish I knew where I got them and where I could get more, because they are awesome too. And a couple of blingy corsage pins...they will be my flower centers.
I bent the pins using my pliers and then assembled the flowers...first the plastic sequin flower was threaded onto the pin, followed by the Prima mulberry flower. I trimmed the ends of the pins with bolt cutters...my wire cutters wouldn't touch the tough steel and my Tonic scissors couldn't cut it either...plus I really didn't want to risk ruining my Favorite Tim Holtz scissors.

This is just a close up of the flowers before I assembled them.

Ah Ha! I just had to add a blingy collar to the bunny. He was begging for some bling!

See how pretty the flower looks once assembled and attached. I covered up the pin stem using a scrap of green Kraft Core that matches the grass.

Now you can see both the flowers.

The pretty pink flower in all it's glory.

One more close up of the flowers with the bunny label.

Finally, one last look at the finished tag!
I really enjoyed this journey. It took me longer to write this blog post than it took me to create this tag!
Thanks so much for looking. Please post a comment if you like my take on Tim's tag.

Your turn...Hop on over to Tim's blog and try your own take on his March 2013 tag! It's fun!
I'm pretty sure he'll be giving away prizes, and you can't win unless you post your creation on his blog!
Have fun and Good Luck!

1 comment: