109 S Second St, Deepwater, MO 64740 660.696.2667

11 December 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods Star Book...

Ok. So I've been wanting to try a Star Book for quite some time, but have never found the time to figure out exactly how to do one. That is, until now! Thanks so much to Shelly Hickox and her lovely blog post on Dec. 5th! Here is where I found my inspiration: http://shellyhickox.blogspot.com/2012/12/pop-n-cuts-star-book-plus-giveaway.html

Anyway, after being inspired by her lovely example, I was finally inclined to try my hand at making one of my own. Below are pictures of my interpretation of the book Shelly created. Of course, I had to add my own creative twists...and since I am impatient and could not wait until my pop n cuts die came in...I improvised and created my own simple pop up solution by hand. (I now have the die she used...but I had already finished the book before it arrived...so I'll have to do a Valentine's themed one using the die she used!) This book was so much fun to create...and Shelly is right...One can get VERY carried away with the decorating! But it is SO MUCH FUN!

All but one of the dies used in my book are by Tim Holtz (Love Love Love his dies)...all are made by Sizzix.
I didn't have all the dies Shelly used, so I did my own thing using the one's I did have. All of the Stamps used in my book are also Tim Holtz by Stamper's Anonymous. And of course...all the inks used are his beloved Distress and Archival inks. Sticky Back Canvas is from Claudine Helmuth's line of products. I'll update this post later with a complete list of all that I used on the book...listed by page. A few Non-Tim items used were Flower Soft, The red tinsel (I didn't have his at the time, so I used what I had), the red Ribbon, The Christmas Lights ribbon and the Stampendous Mica chips and this cool BOP film (used for the windows and the lamp post glass). If I am not mistaken, I think everything else is infused with Tim Holtz products! Yummy!

Over the River and Through the Woods...Star Book Cover:
 Riveted Star & Wreath Detail:
Glittery Noel Detail:
 Sticky Back Canvas Spline Cover Detail:

Star Book Page 1 Old Jalopy Street scene:
 Old Jalopy with tied on Snow covered Pine Tree Detail:
 Wreath detail (made from some wired chenille ribbon I had on hand)
Snowy Lamp post detail (globe glow made with frosted Gold BOP film)

Star Book Page 2 Reindeer Flight in the Pines and Bird on a Branch:
 Flower Softed Pine Tree and Deer Detail:
 Bird on a Branch Detail:
 Stampendous Mica Flakes for Ground cover Detail:
(Unfortunately, the picture does not show the sparkly goodness)

Star Book Page 3 Frosty's Wonderland:
 Frosty's hat detail...and look at those mirrored snowflakes! Love 'em!:
 Let it Snow! Detail...Love the metal foil tape!:
You probably can't see it, but the embossed snowflakes on the snowman are coated with the Pearl Paint dabber, and the rest of him is covered in sparkly Rock Candy Stickles. I wish the picture showed just how sparkly he is!

Star Book Page 4...Grandma's House:

 Cardboard Roof, Quilt batting smoke and Riveted Star and Christmas Lights Ribbon Detail:
 Cardboard Branch and Stick Back Canvas Deer with Flower Soft snow and fur Detail:

Star Book Page 5 Merry Christmas Hanging Sign:
 I made the sign post out of the Lamp Post and the Hanging Sign dies, a little snip here and there and voila!

Below is a birds eye view of what the book looks like assembled and tied together in the Open position. I think I need a turn table to display it on so it can be viewed easily from all angles!
Here is a look at the patterned paper I stamped to be the base for all my pages:
Lily Bee's Oatmeal stationary card stock was used as the base for the background...then I stamped the background scene with various Tim Holtz stamp sets:
Snowflakes were stamped with Iced Spruce Seasonal Distress Ink
Angel, the Music notes and the Deer were stamped with Pumice Stone Distress Ink
Tall Pines were stamped with sponged on Evergreen Bough Seasonal Distress Ink
(I used the blending tool to apply the ink to my stamp for a softer depth of color.)
A Joyful Christmas was stamped with Festive Berries Seasonal Distress Ink.
Crackle background was stamped with Tea Dye Distress Ink.
The only image I used a stamp block for was the sentiment...I stamped everything else without a block to achieve a more feathered and distressed look to the stamping.

Below is with the pop up block background scene shown flat:
 Background paper with the pop up showing. I used a basic 1"x1" block for my pop up elements.

I hope you enjoyed looking at my book! Please leave a comment if you like what you see. I love to get feedback from those who take the time to look at my work. Thanks for looking and I wish each and every one of you a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy Crafty New Year too!

7 comments:

  1. Amy, this is beautiful!! So happy to see that my book inspired you - that's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly! It was just the motivation I needed to try a star book. Now that I see how much fun they are, I will surely be making more in the future. It's all Peggy's fault! She is the one who came into my store and told me I had to go check out your blog last week. Now, we are both the proud owners of the pop n cut die and a few others you used! :-) It's the crafty ripple effect! LOL.

      Delete
  2. It turned out beautiful, love every page! Lots of work and detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy! Thanks for telling me about Shelly's blog and for making me want to try it myself! I hope you enjoy your goodies that Santa is bringing you. ;-) Can't wait to see what you do with them! Now I want to make some of those houses you told me about on Tammy's blog! Do you think we need therapy for our crafty addictions? Craft on!

      Delete
  3. I love your star book and thank you for stopping by my blog x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one Amy, can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is gorgeous. I am so impressed with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete