109 S Second St, Deepwater, MO 64740 660.696.2667

11 July 2012

Simon Says Stamp - Layered Challenge

 
Hey everyone...Above is my multi-layered entry for the Simon Says Stamp - Layered Challenge.
I made this card using a thrift store hidden treasure. I found a really neat little metal basket for a quarter. The design on the background came from me inking and then misting through the basket.
It was a bonus find really...because I thought I only got one basket for my quarter...but when I took it out of the bag, there were two of them, so it was a set of two. Bonus! After that discovery, the gals and I decided that I should make an embossing folder out of the extra one. After all, I only thought I was getting one anyway. So I had my husband cut the sides off the other one and smooth out the edges so we can use it to emboss with. Works like a charm! It is about the same thickness as the Spellbinder's dies and works great with the Spellbinders embossing mat!

So here's a little bit about my card entry for the Simon Says Stamp - Layered Challenge:
For my First Layer: I used my ink blending tool and Walnut stain Distress ink to blend through the basket onto the front of my Kraft card.
Then I shifted the basket to offset the design and for my Second Layer: I used Dragonfly Glimmer Mist and misted through the basket.
For my Third Layer: I used part of the edge of the basket that was cut off (yes, we saved the scraps for edge embossing!) and I embossed the bottom inch or so of the card...lining up the misted design with the pattern on the basket edge...so it would emboss the misted portion of the design. It is hard to see in the photo, but basically the bottom three rows of misted clovers are embossed.

For my Fourth Layer: I used Monarch Orange Archival ink to ink up my Fleur de Lis Cuttlebug Embossing folder...to create a faux letterpress effect. I just inked up the raised design side, then placed my paper on the opposite side and closed the inked side down on the paper, then ran it through my Vagabond. I distressed the edges with my Tim Holtz Tonic Distressing tool then blended with distress ink around the edges to give it some depth.

For my Fifth Layer: I attached it to my card base with my Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher...criss-crossing my staples for added interest.

My Sixth Layer is a 4-Layer embellishment I made to cover up the corner I could not reach with my stapler. Shhh...don't tell anyone...it's not stapled. ha ha.
For the embellishment, I stamped a Fleur de Lis (Stampin Up!) onto a Kraft circle with Monarch Orange Archival Ink, then inked the edges with my Ink Blending Tool and Walnut Stain Distress Ink. Then I used a 1" Gluber on the back to attach the twine fringe layer. I topped off the embellishment with some Ice Stickles in the center of the Fleur de Lis. I attached the embellishment with some black foam squares by Thermoweb.

Now it is your turn to play! Go to this link and enter your layered creation at Simon Says Stamp!: http://simonsaysstampandshow.blogspot.com/2012/07/challenge-layered.html
Below is a picture of another card I made using the same basket and more thrift store goodies. I placed the card in the baskets so you may see the lovely design of the baskets. It was after this picture that we decided to cut the other one up so we could emboss with it. I made this one before the one above.
The ribbon on the left is paper ribbon once used for making those paper angels that were popular many years back. I misted both sides with Glimmer Mist, but with two different colors (Turquoise and Timberline), then I folded it over so they would layer showing both colors.

The background of the card was made by Misting through the basket (as seen on the right hand side), then I had all that shimmery mist on the basket and so I grabbed a Kraft scrap and pushed it down on top of the glimmery basket and stamped the glimmery design right onto my cardstock. So, the left side of my card is the stamped opposite of the design on the right side of my card.

The Embellishment on the right side was made using my Fleur de Lis Spellbinders die and Yes...another thrift store find. The paper used for this embellishment was some really cool paper ribbon I found last year, right before Tim Holtz released his Winter Limited Edition Distress Ink! Well, the paper ribbon I found by chance...matches the Iced Spruce Distress ink Perfectly! That made my thrift store find even more appealing! I topped off the embellishment with an acrylic gem to add some bling.
Hope you are inspired to think outside the box the next time you are out shopping for found treasures. You never know what you'll find that can be given a new life in your craft stash! Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by and looking at my work. Please leave a comment to let me know you were here.


2 comments:

  1. I love your card - it's stuffed full of distressed, grungy goodness :) What a bargain with your thrift store basket too, it's worked really well as a spritzing mask! Thanks so much for joining us in this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have been MIA for a few posts. Love all the new stuff you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete