109 S Second St, Deepwater, MO 64740 660.696.2667

24 March 2012

Creative Chemistry 101 - Day 5 - Distress Stains

I was a little behind in my class work and finally got a chance to get caught up Friday night/Saturday morning. I was up until 4 am this morning finishing my studies...but I enjoyed every second of it. If  you have not signed up for this class, it is simply amazing. You learn so many neat techniques and tips and tricks, not to mention you learn all about the designer and how the Ranger products all work together. I can't tell you any more than that without violating the class policy...so you should check it out for yourself. You get lifetime access to all the class content, so it is a really great deal.

Below are my projects completed for Day 5 of the Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 class. I hope you enjoy them.

This photo you can see the varnish on the Kraft resist cardstock...shining in the light.

On this photo, I shielded the light so the varnished resist area would show, and the shine would
not be overpowering the ability to see the colors and stamping on this tag. I think I got a little
carried away with the flourish stamps...it was getting really late by the time I got to this one.

I hated this tag at first, but it is growing on me. I loved how the Picket Fence Distress stain that I stamped with actually came to the foreground AFTER I stamped the SU Medallion stamp over the top of it with the Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. Amazing! How does it do that? Take the class!
It's all in the Chemistry! :-)

I struggled with this technique, mainly because I couldn't get the video to load so I wasn't sure if I was doing it properly...it just didn't seem to look right, so I improvised, or so I thought to get the look similar to the one shown on the class samples. Well, today, I was able to finish the video, and my improvisation ended up being what we were suppose to do to achieve the marbled look...so I got lucked out and ended up pretty happy with the background. Now the stamping...by this time, it was almost 4 am...well, I just stamped it in a hurry to get done so I could go home and get some sleep.
I plan to revist this technique when I'm not quite so sleep deprived and can do a better job with the whole composition of the stamping on the pretty Arora Borialis like background.

I had indicated on Day 3's post that I would do some more experimenting with the Archival Inks and how they pop when you blend Distress Inks over them. This sample above was done on Inkssentials Glossy card stock. I stamped every color of Archival Ink (note there is 25 because I have a Maroon, which is an older color, and has been replaced by Plum...a slightly more purple hue). I inked the strip  with Distress inks and a blending tool; Black Soot on the top, and the bottom was inked with Walnut Stain. The Manganese Blue really pops as does the Magenta Hue, Chrome yellow, Monarch Orange, Viridian and the Deep Purple. Love the resist properties of these Archival Inks when you blend Distress inks over the top of them.

Well that's all I have for today. Now it's time for me to get some fresh air and enjoy the weather!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. If you like my work, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear your opinions.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the tag samples. I liked your Archival sample strip. I don't have any inks like that and I'm very curious about them now. I wonder what else they can do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea of their resist properties until this class...i just knew when they came out with more colors that I had to have them all. Now, i am super excited about them. I use them all the time because they are waterproof. My most used colors are jet black, coffee, sepia and olive green. But the brighter colors are gaining popularity thanks to this class.

      Delete
  2. love the way your tags turned out. Wow, crafting till 4am that is impressive, my eyes shut at 10pm...no matter what I want to do!

    ReplyDelete